Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's Hot In Philadelphia!

When my sister and I were little, my mother used to read us poems from Shel Silvertein's "Where The Sidewalk Ends" and "A Light In The Attic."  We had so many favorites, and we would ask her to read them to us over and over, and over again.  This one was one of them:



I've been thinking about this poem all day given the tremendous heat we're experiencing here in Philadelphia.  It's Hot!  To escape the sweltering temps, I spent the entire day shopping at the Philadelphia Marketplace.  I stopped in at Lee Jofa to see the new Lilly Pulitzer collection, I swooned over the Oscar de la Renta furniture line at Century, and seriously contemplated buying this Regency style cabinet at Robert Allen's floor sample sale.  Unfortunately, I don't have $6,000 to burn.  So I had to pass.  But the air conditioning was lovely.


Today reached 97 degrees and tomorrow it's going to be 102 degrees... 



with a "RealFeel" of 113!!!



I wish I could sit around in my bones.  It's hot!


...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

Susan said...

It is ridiculously HOT here, ugh.

Sheila said...

You are officially a Philadelphian. All we do around here is complain about the weather. :)

Kelly Robson said...

Sheila, that is hysterical. I should have followed it up with "I'll take 100 degrees over 10 degrees any day".

But, glad I'm finally in the club. You Philadelphians are a tough group to break into. :)

xoxo
Kelly

Bethany said...

Wow, flashback : ) My sister and I were obsessed with those books when we were little, I totally forgot about that poem!

RLG said...

Makes me pine for my days in Anchorage. At least the summers were glorious! The kids are in summer camp, and I seriously considered keeping them home today. My man said, "Not at $200 a day!" Nuff said. Hang in there, girlie. xoxo

cookie said...

thank you Kelly for reminding me of Shel Silverstein, one of my son's faves! 102 relative heat index here.

Deanna (Silly Goose Farm) said...

Ugh, so hot here in Upstate NY, too! Starting to break, though. This post made my heart swell - I had to memorize "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout" in middle school and still remember it (so I can scold my children with it when they do not take the garbage out!). My husband and I read Shel's books to our kids, and also listen to his music a lot (few people know he wrote "A Boy Named Sue" that was made famous by Johnny Cash!). Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Elise said...

That was one of my favorite Shel Silverstein poems too!! Reminds me of childhood summers. Hopefully you're getting a break from the heat like we are in CT today!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...