Monday, March 22, 2010

Hello, Fiddle Leaf Fig!

The Fiddle Leaf Fig tree.  One of my all time favorite indoor plants...

















I love these fig trees, and was in the market for one last summer.  I really wanted one for the dining room in our (then) townhome.  I even went to a fancy nursery near Philadelphia and couldn't spot one.  But, lo and behold, last night at Home Depot (while pricing out riding lawn mowers), I saw them! 

Labeled "Tropical Foliage" and only $37.96 each!






I didn't buy one...  not last night at least.  But, someday I plan on having one in my dining room.  In a large white ceramic pot.

How do you take care of Fiddle Leaf Figs as an indoor plant?  Well, I'm glad you asked.  I went over to a very helpful tree blog, Exporing The World Of Trees and learned something...
  • LIGHT -- Fiddle Leaf Figs need abundant light, but not direct light.  If there isn't enough light, they will loose their leaves and thin out.  Also, you should know that they "lean" into the light.  If you wnat a more even tree, rotate regularly.
  • WATERING -- This depends on how much light your tree will get, but as a general rule of thumb, never over water!  They like short dry periods between waterings (according to The World Of Trees).  One way to determine a good watering cycle is to let the pot dry out until the top growth starts to slightly wilt.  However much time that took, subtract one to two days, and you have an appropriate watering cycle for your tree.
  • PRUNING -- Prune your tree to create a desired shape, and a more tree-like appearance.  Start early, before it is too tall, etc.
  • TEMPERATURE CONTROL-- Keep away from vents, or other sources of dry heat or drafts.
  • DUSTING -- Since these plants are kept indoors, the accumulation of dust can prevent them from absorbing enough sunlight.
  • ROOT CONTROL -- Every couple of years, you should trim back the roots.  These trees are capable of growing 40-50 feet tall (yowza!) on their own...  so, an indoor pot will quickly become too small.  Read about root trimming HERE.
In addition to The World Of Trees blog, also try this link HERE for more information on a Fiddle Leaf Fig!

...

No Comments Yet, Leave Yours!

charmaine said...

I have always loved this tree but since i have a black thumb, I have been hesitant to buy one. I didn't think it would be affordable. Might have to go to home depot and see if they sell them. Thanks for the tips!

Erica Cook said...

Love these! Saw one at my ikea last week- it was the last one and someone was already eyeing it. I was convinced she wouldn't appreciate it as much as I'd have... but I couldn't wait to see. Home depot it is! thanks!

Jennifer said...

love how you did your research! also that quote - "I love super high-end finds and super low-end ones. But I don't like medium." toooo funny! know who it is?

monique said...

i honestly have never noticed those trees but i love them! they give so much to a room. i think i am going to check out our home depot too! thanks!

Green Girl said...

i looove indoor plants... not sure if there is fiddle leaf fig here in Ph.... but that is a beautifully large plant!

Jenna said...

I have always wanted a fiddle leaf fig. I wonder if Home Depot would have them at all stores right now? I will definitely be swinging by there on my way home tonight...

Acanthus and Acorn said...

Wow! This was such a great collection of images! It was a good reminder of how versatile these beauties are.

And, anything live always makes an interior so much better.

NewDominionBlues said...

A fiddle leaf fig tree has been on my list for a long time now, how excellent of you to remind me! I'll have to check our local Home Depot (and Ikea!). My only worry is digging doggies...

Lila said...

I love how those trees look in all those spaces! I really hope that this could be a plant that I won't kill...indoors that is.
Lila Ferraro
Queen Bedroom Sets

Style Court said...

Kelly, I'd never thought about the fig leaf in Betsy's dining room before. Such a great assortment you put together -- and so many of my favorite rooms! The Tim Clarke shower. Never tire of that one.

Full House said...

I'm just ticked...no fiddle leaf fig @ my local Home Depot. I called the guy who orders the plants for that store and he said he could only get a 5ft tree but would cost $99.

love your round-up of photos.

Patty said...

Oh wow fig trees really are the perfect indoor plant, their coloring matches perfectly!

Kate in Indy said...

No Fiddle Leaf Figs anywhere around Indy -- the guy at Home Depot had never seen/heard of them before. The Cincinnati Ikea doesn't have them either. Boo hiss, Midwest! Get on the ball! :)

Body Gospel said...

I want some of those fig trees in my own house

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...